Monday, November 9, 2009

New Happenings

Recently I got a counterbore from Morris Tools in Tennessee for my arm to stile joints. Boy does it make a difference.


I used to first drill a "shoulder" with a large forstner type bit and then finish it with a smaller bit for the actual mortise. It wasn't impossible to line them up, but it took some doing. Once I reground and sharpened the cutting spurs on the counterbore, it drilled a gorgeous joint and the alignment was a non issue. Below is the finished mortise.


Also on the tool front, I've been meaning to mention that while in Atlanta, I noticed that Highland Woodworking carries the diamond profile parting tools in the 1/8th inch size. Folks have contacted me looking for this elusive creature after I posted that it was my preferred size for turning but especially for the way it works with my caliper. The smaller cutting edge means less vibration and resistance but still cuts a wide enough kerf to easily measure.

I'm not sure what it says about me, but one of the most exciting and fun things to enter life here is our new ice cream maker. It's of the old wooden bucket variety (but with a motor, sorry galoots) and we've been putting it through its paces. It fits perfectly with our plan to have our goat milking in the spring. After vanilla, we decided to try mint chip, but no extract and green food coloring for us, I found a recipe and headed to the garden to pick the mint. Yes, Sue is still mad that I put mint in the garden, we'll never be rid of it!
Below is the mint steeping in the milk.

Here is the finished custard.

And into the freezer.

And the finished ice cream (actually, I probably stopped a bit short, but it froze in the freezer fine)


By the way, half of the sweetener in the mix is maple syrup from last spring, just one more reason to look forward to next years sugaring season.

5 comments:

Christopher said...

Peter-

I just discovered your blog - great info! I recently took a one-on-one with Brian Cunfer to make a continuous arm and I'm about to tackle a fan back on my own. Your blog has already helped me re-focus. Thanks

John said...

Peter-
I share your enthusiasm for homemade ice cream. Look for a copy of The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz:
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/books/

Every recipe I've tried is outstanding (especially the cinnamon)!

Peter Galbert said...

Christopher,
I met Brian years ago while teaching turning at JC Campbell, great guy. I'm glad that the blog is helping!

John,
thanks for the tip, I'll set my librarian bride right on it. I've been getting my recipes online and have been thrilled with the results. Oh, how quickly obsession sets in! I've never imagined that mint ice cream could be so fragrant. And the chocolate, holy cow!!! My chickens can barely keep up.

R Francis said...

Plant the mint in an old trash can (buried or with some large flat stones set upright underground in a rectangle to limit the roots.
Keeps the old lady happy.

Peter Galbert said...

Thanks for the tip, but I'm afraid it's a bit like putting the toothpaste back in the tube now!! As much as I pull it out, it comes back. Being mocked by a plant is humbling.