Saturday, February 28, 2009

One for the Books


This one is nearly unbelievable. I received a phone call from my client in Hawaii with this tale. The two chairs that I shipped arrived just fine. But as he drove them from his office to his house, proceeding at 35 mph with his flashers on , he looked back to see not one, but both of them blown out the back of the truck!! The crates were large and the tie down barely reached around them, not to mention the extremely high winds. I shudder to think what must have been going through his mind. I recall a sheet of plywood slipping out of my truck once and being horrified.

After pulling over, he had to rush out to the roadway to pull the crates out of the way of oncoming traffic. Unbelievably, the crates suffered some damage, but they did their job and chairs were untouched! I am so relieved that the chairs were alright, but it doesn't stop the shiver from crawling up my spine every time I think of them airborne on the roadway.

I will never be able to crate a chair again without thinking about this story, and probably wrapping the tape just one more time, for good luck.

No comments: