Wednesday, November 14, 2007

More Painting



Here are a couple of sack backs that I am painting for a client. They are shown with the first coat which is a brown that I use as an undercoat when painting chairs blue or in this case blue/green. It is a stage in the painting process that looks awful. The color is muted and dull, but under the subsequent coats it will add a rich warmth that makes it well worth the trouble.



I have described my mixing process in other postings, but I think that it is worth showing a little more in depth. I prefer to strain the clumps and impurities out of the milk paint to achieve the smoothest paint possible. In the photo above, you can see that after mixing the paint and letting it sit for an hour, I can pour off the smooth paint through the filter while the foam stays in the cup. I mix my paint differently depending on the color, the one rule of thumb being, it must be just thin enough to pass through the filter. Then I can always add water to thin it more if desired. I often use thin paint, preferring to build it up in layers creating a more "even uneven" finish. If the paints gathers in large waterspots on the surface, it is too thin.



As you can see in the photo above, I paint it on thin, just letting the tooth of the previous coat pull the paint off the brush. Two coats like this and then the rub down and oiling. I'll post the finished product later.

No comments: