Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Turning Point

Before Jameel starts organizing a wake for Chair Notes, I thought it best to give a quick update. As I sit here, this little amaryllis has been giving me hope of things to come.
I've been teaching a lot this Winter when not here at the computer working on my book. I just finished up a class of 24 students at the North Bennet Street School. Dan Faia is doing a great job with the program over there and was fantastic to work with. Working with so many students at once was a huge challenge.
Chris Schwarz has started working closely with me to shape the book manuscript and help get it out there. I've gotten a huge boost from Raney Nelson, Bern Chandley, Caleb James and Claire Minihan, who have been my first readers.

Now I head to the Caymans for my sisters wedding and then I will start my southern tour of Highland Woodworking and Warren Wilson College. By the time I get back, Spring should be well started up here. I will likely miss most of syrup season, but from the current view, I think Winter might be a little stubborn leaving, so hopefully I'll still get a few quarts.
I hope you are all staying warm and making chairs!



3 comments:

Russ Morin said...

What will you be doing at Warren Wilson? I live in Greenville, SC. Also, do you have a target date on your book? I'm really looking forward to it.
Best,
Russ Morin

Robert Francis said...

Dan is the guy who taught me how to make Windsor chairs. He is a very talented woodworker for sure and a great guy.
Bob

Peter Galbert said...

Russ,
I'll be teaching a Balloon back side chair at Warren Wilson, should be a great time.

Robert,
I agree, Dan is simply the best, great guy, great teacher, great woodworker.