Thursday, August 8, 2013

Distressing, the Easy Way

Last thanksgiving I gave a chair to one of my favorite people. She was 4 1/2 at the time. She is the child of one of my oldest friends and I thought that she might like to sit at the same height as the everyone else at the table.





Keep in mind that this was less than a year ago. When I went to their house for dinner last night, I was thrilled to see that she has obviously sat in the chair A LOT. When I saw it, I filled with joy.
I've got chairs that have been in service for a decade and don't show this much use!

We did some forensic research and it became clear rather quickly that a squirmy 5 year old rubs their head on the bow just right to wear the paint right off. I wonder how many wriggling 5 year olds it would take to make the Grand Canyon? From this impressive effort, not as many as you might think.
Rubbing through the paint in a few spots is normal when burnishing and oiling a chair and I think that we all consider how "natural" the wear should look. Look no further, find yourself a willing 5 year old and you'll get the real thing.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your post, Peter. I find the wear marks on a chair a true indication of how much the chair is used and loved. It only adds to the value. Bob Glenn

Anonymous said...

Peter, Last fall I harnessed the power of 9 year olds. Ten of them moved 1000+ lbs. of rocks from a garden in less than 30 minutes. The trick with kid power, like most unlimited power sources, is harnessing it! Love your chairs, Dohnn Wood

Bern said...

Pete, I've got this 2 year old who ages chairs without even sitting in them. I think in police parlance you could describe what he inflicts on them as 'blunt force trauma'.
But hey, what's a few hundred dings between father and son.
I'm a calling you your Friday night, my Saturday morning. Scotch and coffee, nice.

Anonymous said...

Very nice story. I actually have a friend with a 5 year old daughter, I built her s swing in the tree, and I am seeing the same result lol.

Always appreciate you taking time to share.

John Lewis
Brighton Woodshop
Raymond, Maine

Unknown said...

Love it!

I have a 5 year old that does that too. She even has the exact same pink shoes. :)

However it was my 1-1/2 year old, at the time, that dumped the contents of her sippy cup into the seat of a rocking chair that I had submitted to a woodworking show. Needless to say that by the time I discovered this it had ruined the seat. Swelled and cracked upon drying out.

No harm, we still use it, just didn't go to the show. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Oops! Post that comment multiple times, somehow.

Anonymous said...

Amazing story, I need this chair in my apartment.Top quality furniture company