Monday, April 9, 2012
Another Thought on the Shavehorse
Greg Pennington showed up to help teach two weeks of chairmaking classes with me at Kelly Mehlers with a lovely new walnut shavehorse based on the plans that I posted earlier on the blog.
He should have known better.
I had spent the entire flight there ruminating on shavehorse design and I immediately proposed chopping it up to try some half formed ideas that I had to improve the adjustability. It took nearly a week and a half of trials, errors and broken parts to arrive at a design that we agreed was worthy of working with.
Here is a graveyard of broken pieces and failed notions!
We ended up with a design that uses a ratcheting head (credit to Brian Boggs for bringing the ratchet and shavehorse together) to make the adjustment flow.
Once we settled on laminating the swing arm and head from three pieces, all sorts of options became possible and the interlocking parts became easy to conceive and create.
The parts you see above are all that is required to transform a standard dumbhead horse into an adjustable one. Below, you can see how, by affixing the plans directly to the wood with spray adhesive, I was able to cut the parts accurately enough on a bandsaw to get a smooth, tight function.
Here is the horse in action!
I'm swamped right now with projects, but I will be refining the design and having it drawn up on the computer for accuracy. Once I get it done, I will share the plans and give instructions on how to get it together.