Monday, April 9, 2012

Another Thought on the Shavehorse


 Greg Pennington showed up to help teach two weeks of chairmaking classes with me at Kelly Mehlers with a lovely new walnut shavehorse based on the plans that I posted earlier on the blog.
He should have known better.


I had spent the entire flight there ruminating on shavehorse design and I immediately proposed chopping it up to try some half formed ideas that I had to improve the adjustability. It took nearly a week and a half of trials, errors and broken parts to arrive at a design that we agreed was worthy of working with.

Here is a graveyard of broken pieces and failed notions!





We ended up with a design that uses a ratcheting head (credit to Brian Boggs for bringing the ratchet and shavehorse together) to make the adjustment flow.


Once we settled on laminating the swing arm and head from three pieces, all sorts of options became possible and the interlocking parts became easy to conceive and create.


The parts you see above are all that is required to transform a standard dumbhead horse into an adjustable one. Below, you can see how, by affixing the plans directly to the wood with spray adhesive, I was able to cut the parts accurately enough on a bandsaw to get a smooth, tight function.


Here is the horse in action!




I'm swamped right now with projects, but I will be refining the design and having it drawn up on the computer for accuracy. Once I get it done, I will share the plans and give instructions on how to get it together.

19 comments:

Tico Vogt said...

Peter, that is AWESOME!

gregoire68 said...

Good job Peter. I'm still looking for the book that you and Curtis are writing.
Greg

mckenzie said...

beautiful solution, nothing like airline oxygen to get the brain ratcheting it up a notch.

Peter Galbert said...

Thanks for the comments! It was a lot of fun finding solutions to the various problems we ran into, and of course, I was fortunate to have Greg to bounce ideas off and make the multiple failures that didn't make the video!

jaupnort said...

Can't wait for the plans. Saw it forming as we left spindle turning class at Kelly's place.
Don't need another thing to do as I have lots of stools to assemble. Have been turning legs each day since leaving your class at Kelly's and must say with your excellent tutoring my time/spindle has at least halved and quality is also better. Confidence in Skew is also growing. Thanks for the excellent help.
Hope others read this and sign for class next time you offer it.
John Anderson

Ray Schwanenberger said...

Peter, I am currently using a "Boggs" style shave horse and would love to make these mods to it. Are your plans going to work for this style shave horse as well as the dumb head style? I hope this will be the case. Great job!

Tee said...

Brilliant!

Richard Law said...

Brilliant Peter!

I'm fed up of pulling the pin out and shoving it back in to adjust my current generation of shave horse. I'll be making one with this modification as soon as you have time to put up the plans, and I have time to make it!

Many thanks!

Bern said...

So Peter Galbert...I see you've done it again! Come up with "a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a fox".

Glen Rundell said...

Nice work Pete ( & Greg ) 'dumb' can never be associated with the shave horse again!

Caleb James said...

I was just looking at my Bogg's style shave horse today and wondering if I could sell it to someone so that I had a reason to make a dumb head style. I think I will chop it up and make a Pete Galbert style one instead.

Thanks for the explanation of the ratchet action. Should help cut down the trial and error a lot.

Genius!

chuckiswired said...

I’m excited to change my shaving horse. You couldn’t post the plans fast enough. Thanks for all you contribute to the craft.

Peter Galbert said...

Thanks for all the encouragement! I am working with Steve First to get the drawings done properly (he's very good), but of course, it will take a bit of time, meanwhile, I will be doing some further work on making sure that making the new parts can be done simply without lots of fancy tools. Stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

genius and handsome too, what next?

Tom Wheeler said...

Peter, this looks perfect, in so much as a tea cup is perfect. I can't believe you desecrated the Boggs horse ;>) I have some thoughts that I might offer and that is, this would be the perfect time to bring in the CNC mill into wood working just as I am sure you use this technology to make your calliper. If you get this into some sort of cad program could you share the drawing files. I would be happy to do the drawings in Autocad if you would like.
Tom

Mark H said...

Peter-
Thanks so much for working through the new horse! Your timing could not be better as I'm researching different designs to build a shavehorse. Thank you for your time and generosity in sharing the plans and tips with us.

Peter Galbert said...

Tom,
I have a friend who will be working out the plans on a cad program soon. If he proves busy, I'll take you up on your offer. As for the CNC, I don't think the design needs one. I've made a few versions, rather crudely and they all work equally well, but you can see the videos that I do and make up your own mind! Thanks for the comments,

CNeiL said...

Any plans for the base?

Also is there a design or plan for a "fold-up" base to conserve shop space when not in use? To easily compact the useful tool.

Peter Galbert said...

Keep your eyes on Jameel's blog over at Benchcrafted. He is using and posting my horse plans soon,
Pete